Wednesday, December 5, 2012

KSHETRA FOR THE MONTH OF DECEMBER 2012




                                                              THERAZHUNDUR
Once there lived a king called Uparicharavasu. He was a Dharmic ruler. He did a Purodasa Yaga worshipping Lord Vishnu.  The Lord pleased by his yaga gave darshan to him. He was surprised to see the Lord in person and shouted in joy. However the sages performing the sacrifice there relented. They could not agree that the king could see the Lord whereas they had not. Then the Lord spoke “Iam attained only by those having devotion. I cannot be attained by Tapas, or Yoga marga. I have given the king my darshan as he is full of loving devotion towards me. The sages having heard this praised the king for his bhakthi. After the completion of the yaga the Devas presented the king an aeroplane with which he could travel anywhere around the world and attain success.
 Once while travelling in his vimana, he felt something pulling it. He came to the ground and was stunned to see Lord Krishna grazing a cow. How come you are here Oh, Lord? Why have you left the banks of Yamuna and why have you chosen the banks of Cauvery instead, he asked. The Lord smiled and related to him an incident.
 “ Once Lord Shiva wanted to see me as little Krishna. He was meditating on my form when Parvathi playfully closed his eyes. Angered by it he cursed her saying “ You are Vishnu Maya. You , who close the eyes of one and all against wisdom are now trying to close my eyes too.  That which is devoid of knowledge is a pashu (cow). May you become a cow. When the Lord  showers his grace on you, you can rejoin me.” Thus Parvathi became a cow at the banks of the river Cauvery and I looked after her. Shiva too came here and had my darshan. With a fulfilled heart, my sister Parvathi released from the curse went back to her loka. Now I stand before you to show you my beautiful form.” Uparicharavasu was only too happy to build a beautiful temple for the Lord Gosakhan- friend of the cow. Those who worship this Lord will always beget victory in all their endeavour. The kshetra is called Therazhundur because Uparicharavasu’s vimana was stuck here. The Lord is called Aamaruviappan because he holds the cow close to him ( Aa- cow, maruvi- hugging).

No comments: